database upload problem/doesn't work

General ShopSite user discussion

database upload problem/doesn't work

Postby gracefuli » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:39 am

I am using ss12 new sp. want to download product database, make changes, then upload it. Excel as a tab-del file doesn't work, nor as an xls file or .txt; if i do it as .txt file can open it in word- but can not easily make changes. is there a preferred program to use? is there a free program to use?
gracefuli

Re: database upload problem/doesn't work

Postby loren_d_c » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:05 pm

ShopSite only exports products tab-delimited .txt or XML. XML is more for automated/programmatic changes, not manually working with the data. I have never had a problem opening a tab-delimited .txt file in Excel before, though.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby gracefuli » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:06 pm

It opens in excel just fine & I can make changes. The problem is that it always fails on the upload. As a test, I downloaded a file, then uploaded it immediately - worked just fine. Then I downloaded again, opened in excel, but did not change anything, just opened, saved and closed. Upload failed every time I tried.

If it works for you in excel, please share which excel version and save settings you have been able to use & what internet server you use (ie, google chrome?) Maybe I need to change things I'm using.

Txs
gracefuli

Postby gracefuli » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Just for those reading this... I found in older posts that
reference to using Office Libre Calc, a free-ware program. I think it may have solvedmy upload issues.
gracefuli

Postby loren_d_c » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:45 am

Could be a couple of different issues with Excel. First, if you are saving the file as .xlsx, that format is not supported by ShopSite, you would have to instead save as the older .xls (Excel 2007?) format which ShopSite can import.

If you are just saving it back out as a tab-delimited file, Excel can have issues such as adding extra " marks around text and leaving off tabs if the last column(s) of data are empty for a certain number of rows. If you are having these issues, either try saving as .xls and import that instead, or see the following ShopSite Knowledgebase articles for tab-delimited Excel workarounds:
http://support.shopsite.com/KBase/questions/1978/
http://support.shopsite.com/KBase/questions/2358/

-Loren
loren_d_c

Return to User Forum